Saturday, February 28, 2015

Keeping Kids Awake while Teaching Math... My Latest Trick Works!!!

How do you keep your kids engaged when doing Common Core math review? I like to turn their problems into a walking and learning activity... 

On a chart paper, I write the review problems (fairly large, for viewing purposes).



Next, I cut the problems up into individual questions. Then, I walk around the room and tape them in various locations. Sometimes I post them on the inside of the door, windows, the white board, on my teacher desk, etc! 

Kids get to walk around the room with clipboards and solve each problem individually (or in pairs). During this activity, I pull a small group of struggling students so they get the hands-on review they need. I ask kids to spread around the room and start at number 4 or whatever so everyone is not congregating around the same problem.



My class LOVES it and begs for "Clipboard Math" now...

Try it out! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment